Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fly: The Fall #4

Posted by Katie on 8:30 AM


What really sent the Hero over the edge is finally revealed.  Francis is closing in on his parents' murderer and it just so happens that Eddie is in his way.  Now that Francis knows Mary’s connection to the Hero, his friendship with Eddie will truly be put to the test.  The thrilling story of Fly: The Fall continues as Eddie learns just how much Fly has affected everyone he’s ever cared about.

The Hero has been beaten.  Francis is on the warpath, now that he knows he has a chance of avenging his parents.  Unfortunately, that warpath leads him right to Eddie, who just so happens to be involved with the Hero’s daughter, Mary.  Francis just doesn’t care who he hurts anymore, as long as he’s able to hurt the Hero as much as possible.  There’s a big revelation in this issue that makes everything fall into place, which can only mean great things for the finale of this series.

As per usual the writing is outstanding.  The whole cast is pretty much at their breaking points and yet the calmest one of all is the one with the most to lose.  The past and present of the Fly drug are now coming to a head and seamlessly ties both volumes together.  I honestly never would have guessed the connection between Mary and the Hero before and now, after reading this issue, it all makes so much sense.  The thing that really gets me about this issue and the series as a whole is that I’m just so emotionally invested into these characters.  I think I mentioned something similar to this in the previous Fly review, but for those of you just tuning in, let me elaborate a bit. 

Comics rarely make me feel anything for the characters within them.  For the most part it’s just a cool story with a lot of fighting in it.  For this series, however, even though it’s not my creation, I can’t help but feel a bit protective of some of the people within the story.  I just want things to start going right for Eddie.  He just gets used and abused by practically everyone he meets and you can’t help but feel sorry for the guy.  With Francis, it’s terrible what happened to his parents, but I just feel like smacking the guy sometimes, just to get him to wake up for this blind rage.  There’s a lot riding on the actions of these two as the issue comes to a close and amps up for the inevitable clash between the former friends.  Bravo Raven, you’ve got me on the edge of my seat for the next one.

Like with the rest of the series, I have no complaints whatsoever about this issue.  If anything I could use this space to gush some more over how much I like it, but then it would just get redundant and no one likes redundancy.  So, take my word for it, this is not an issue to be missed.  The final showdown is at hand.

Fly: The Fall has yet to disappoint me.  Now that we know everyone’s past and how they’re all connected, that just leaves the epic showdown to finish it all off.  So much enjoyment went into reading this issue and one thing I can clearly see now is that Eddie pretty much got screwed over (do you know how many beatings he’s taken throughout both volumes?)  A strong recommendation from me to soar on over to your comic shop and snag this issue.  For more info on where to pick up this issue, visit the Zenescope website or the Zenescope Facebook page.







Geek-o-Rama received a copy of this book for the purpose of this review. All thoughts, comments and opinions are those of the individual reviewer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Site